Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday, Madeleine Rose

I'm not going to post much in-depth about Maddie's birthday, mostly just because it was incredibly quiet and private, but I thought that this was beautiful in its own way, and wanted to remember it.

JTD unfortunately had to work today from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. (he has a huge project that is going in place this weekend).  Since he won't be home until well after dark, I picked up several balloons and took them in for us to release together at the hospital (which is where he works, and also where we were one year ago today).

We let go of the balloons, and most of them rose together and started off on their flight as expected, in a path going directly east with the wind.  One of the balloons, however, was very, very slow to rise.  It stayed near us for a while, and finally started rising - but it went north (where we could see it much better).  Rather than going the same direction as the others, it made its own way where we could see it.  As the balloons rose, it started to sprinkle (it rained a year ago today, too) - and the one balloon kept going north.  It got several blocks north, and then circled back a little bit with the wind before finally heading east.  It slowly made its way out of sight, probably 5 minutes after the others had disappeared. 

I'm not even sure what all of that means, but it reminded me so much of how Maddie was such a fighter.  She was the embryo that stuck through the FET, she grew and blossomed, and she didn't want to come out when my body went into labor.  She kicked up until almost the end (I remember her last kick, as if she was saying goodbye), and they had to do several rounds of Pitocin (she was delivered feet-first).  Much like that balloon, she stayed with us for as long as she could.  I am so grateful for every second that we had with her, and that we continue to have with her.

13 comments:

rebecca said...

Thinking of you today, sounds like it was a beautiful memorial to Maddie & her way of telling you she is still with you in spirit. Sending love & prayers your way:)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had this moment today and that you and J. were able to be together for at least a small portion of the day. I used to take rainbows and butterflies and all of those other special things that are reminders of lost babies for granted - not anymore and never again. Many gentle hugs for the days to come.

Cape Girl said...

That sounds so beautiful. What a wonderful memorial to Maddie.

I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love.

Happy Birthday, Maddie.

Tina said...

Happy Birthday sweet Maddie!

Jill said...

Happy birthday to Maddie!! xo

heather said...

It sounds like you were able to remember her beautifully. I'm so glad you had that experience with the one balloon.

(((hugs)))

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You ladies are all just amazing. Thank you so, so much. For everything.

TwoDogMama said...

LFCA - I am glad to hear Madeleine's birthday went well and that you were able to have some peace. What a beautiful name. I wish you the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

Thinking of you and your beautiful girl . . .our babies must be celebrating together in Heaven. Love to your family.

Anonymous said...

I havent seen a post from you in a couple days, and I wanted to make sure you are doing ok.

Sending love to you and carrying Maddie in my heart.

Loves

Michele said...

hugs... remembering with you...

Anonymous said...

that last balloon was just a reminder that no matter where Maddie is, she will always be with you in your heart. You may not always feel her near, but she will always find a way in your heart. *hugs*

Holly said...

Happy 1st Birthday sweet Maddie