As JTD put it recently, we were so focused on getting through a very high-risk pregnancy day by day that the enormity of having a child didn't fully hit us at first! It's amazing how all of that worry I've had every moment for the past nine months transfers immediately to this little bundle of perfection.
There were a couple of worries in the hospital - one smaller, and one pretty big. When she was born, her cord had been wrapped around her neck once. It turned out she was fine, but it was obviously a concern. The much bigger concern came later in the week - we were scheduled to leave the hospital Friday during the day. Thursday night around 11, Alice nursed really well - since she'd been nearing dropping 10% of her birth weight, this was good. Since JTD wasn't able to stay at the hospital with me and I was post C-section, they took her back to the nursery (even though we wanted to room-in). They brought her back around 1:15 or so, and we started nursing - she only ate about 3 minutes, and then fell asleep. They said not to worry, and brought her back around 3:30 - only ate about 5 minutes, then fell asleep. Same thing at 6 a.m. I was freaking out by this time - they weighed her, and she'd officially dropped more than 10% of her birth weight. They offered to try supplementing her with formula - I didn't want to, but was willing to do whatever to get her to eat. Unfortunately, she would have none of the formula, and started sleeping so deep that we could barely rouse her. I sat and cried, begging God not to let this baby die. The pediatrician came in the morning, and discussed maybe keeping her an extra night. Luckily, we got a GREAT feed in that afternoon, and were allowed to come home, where our biggest nursing problem since has just been that she's very picky about latch.
My newest concern is her umbilical cord - there's a tiny amount of blood around the cord at times that looks like it's just from getting bumped. Excessive Googling tells me that this happens sometimes (which is also what the pediatrician's office said last Friday), but I just want her to be okay. I fear that I'm going to be too overprotective of her, but just want to spend every moment making sure she's okay.
As proof that my little girl is perfect, here's some video of her from this morning:
Sunday, August 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 comments:
She is sooo beautiful... I can imagine you, and all of us will be worriying for a lifetime. My mom almost lost me in an accidnet when I was six and I am now 34 and married, and she calls me very night. It will be okay. LOVE the video and the cute dress that daddy picked out. It is perfect. Love all the pretty dark hair and skin. Hugs to your new miracle. Lizy in hot Chicago
She is perfect!!
I understnad the fear - so many things can still go wrong! I spend so much time watching W sleep just to make sure he's breathing.
W's belly button fell off on my shirt. It was gross. But I had been so afraid that he'd have it forever! Don't worry too much about Alice's - soon it will come off and she'll have a cute little belly for you to rub!
I said the same thing when we brought Cooper home. You worry with all pregnancies but a very high-risk one (for which I'm an alumni also) is ZERO fun...you don't have the luxury of enjoying pregnancy and you just want it over and your baby safe...then, they're born (albeit, our birth was VERY different than yours!) and they're totally helpless and relient on you and your abilities! You worry EVERY second of the day about everything when you're a mommy!
Each one of you ladies nailed it!! It's the knowledge of what can happen that is so hard!
Cheryl, that is now my worst fear!!
I can only imagine all the worries you had during pregnancy and now even with her here... Babies truly are a miracle. Make sure you enjoy every moment. She's beautiful!
She is soooooo precious!
I'm terribly sorry about the scares you have had, but I am SO glad she is ok, and I just know she will be. It has to be impossible not to worry. But you are doing so great!!!
First of all, I LOVE her name, I don't know if I said that before. And I love the outfit, too. She is so precious.
It's like just when you think you've made it home free...you realize that there are still a million things to worry about! I guess there always will be. My mom calls us at least once a day, and if I don't answer, she calls back!
Sending you lots of good thoughts! XOXO
She is seriously so perfect! I just can't get over how beautiful she is, and how happy I am for you!!
I have the most amazing blog friends!
Oh she is amazing! I love those little tights!! I can just hear the happiness and proudness in your voices in that video - it's so wonderful :)
Your worrying just sounds like you are a concerned mom. I don't think it changes... at least from my experience reading blogs and talking to other moms. I suggest you make peace with your worrying :) You definitely aren't doing anything wrong!
she is gorgeous!
Oh, Angie! The worry that comes with it is the curse of motherhood! Even the most perfect pregnancy and the most perfect delivery brings worry and question - a high-risk pregnancy and a surgical delivery are factors that no doubt drive worry and fear through the roof! There will always be worry and there will always be doubt - whether she is a week old or she is 18! You are no doubt doing a wonderful job, and will raise a daughter who is a perfect testament to that. Miss Alice is absolutely beautiful!
Oh, Angie, she is just precious! That hair, those rolls on her arms...she is absolutely perfect!
I am so happy for you guys...and, the worry is normal...and unfortunately it won't ever go away (at least it hasn't for me, yet).
She is just so precious and beautiful!! I am glad to hear your baby girl is doing better. My Mom told me the worrying never goes away I am 36 years old and my Mom still calls everday to check up on me and make sure I am okay. She is always making sure I take a coat with me even if it is 102 degress out and that I always hold onto the rail when I walk down the stairs. I roll my eyes at her but secretly love it for I know she only says that because she cares for me so much. I love my Mom dearly and now having my daughter I completely understand that worry. I will always worry about my daughter no matter how old she is I think all us mothers will always worry and care for our babies no matter their age. Love your sweet daughter she is such a cutie!!
I love that you and hubby can have these moments with Alice. You will cherish them always *hugs*
Post a Comment