Good appointment today, despite it being a manual cervical exam week (rather than an ultrasound week). Looking forward to another full ultrasound next Tuesday, but today's appointment had lots of good info:
- I am measuring at 29 weeks still (same as last Thursday), but did gain two pounds. This made them happy. I asked how I was measuring on time if I look so small - I've just got a long torso, I guess, for someone roughly 5'1" or 5'2". The doctor did tell me that he could tell me I look fat, though, if it would make me feel better. :)
- I peed on my own hand for, like, the fifth week in a row. At this point, it's all guesswork, and apparently I'm not good at it. I'm kind of OCD, so luckily I can wash my hands twice and then use the hand sanitizer in my purse - but it still grosses me out. I guess it's better than peeing on someone else's hand, though.
- Thanks to Jen's awesome recommendation, I'm going to get an Angelcare monitor. I'd researched them a bit, but never heard a personal recommendation. To anyone who has had one - we've already got a video monitor for sound/video monitoring, so can I get away with the regular Angelcare (LINK) instead of the Deluxe (LINK)? It looks like the big difference is just the range of the device, and that the portable units do sound monitoring (which, again, we won't need). I may be missing something, though.
I've been missing Maddie a lot over the past few days. I know it's crazy, but I started wondering if it would be weird if we took her urn with us to the hospital when we go in. I decided that, yes, it would probably be a weird - but more importantly, I don't think I'd feel safe taking her out of the house. What if something happened to her? It will kill me to be away from her for a few days, but JTD will be at home some every day to hold her.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



18 comments:
Hooray for a good appointment!! and my brain just went completely blank... um... well then...
glad to hear things are going well- let me know how the monitoring works out- we're planning on rooming-in with a bassinette for the first few months- so far we just picked up an audio monitor because I figured that's all we'd need, but I've read a bit about the AngelCare monitors and have been really curious as to whether it's worth the expense!!
We plan on doing the same thing for the first 6 months! My mother-in-law and some relatives are getting us a co-sleeper/bassinette that we're going to use until she outgrows it!
We have a cosleeper & the monitor, as well. I need to set it up and figure it all out.
I love that you admit peeing on your hand. I'll tell... Since you're so honest. 99% of the time I have to pee standing up. I know. Youll never look at me the same. :) it's too much pressure otherwise. And, I've peed on myself more than once. It's not pretty. But, it's what we do. I hope that made you giggle.
I've been missing E so much, too. The other day I held her outfit on my chest for so long. I'm going to wear my footprint necklace to the delivery and bring her picture. I may bring her ashes, as well. Because usually when we go away for the night, I take them- mostly because I don't want her alone and also if there were a fire, I'd be devastated.
xo
We brought Nick, Sophie, and Alex with us to the hospital. They sat on my bedside table and I held them every day.
So glad for a good appt!
Ps- even tho Nora is rooming in with us, we still are using the monitor. Otherwise, I'll never sleep.
Oh, just a note on the AngelCare... Our NICU was very against them. They repeated over and over that, if our children needed a monitor, they'd send us home with one and that they dont recommend anyone purchase additional monitors (or any monitors save a traditional baby monitor if they dont send you home with one).
We opted to only have sound monitors and that works for us, but it's a personal decision for everyone.
Bree - we're going to do the co-sleeper in our room, too. I'm thinking the monitor would just go in it. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has the peeing problems at the doctor - I'll have to try standing up, because this isn't working!! I'm also so glad to hear that you also took E's ashes to the hospital - that's making me feel better about it. I thought I was crazy.
Michele - you are awesome! First of all, I'm so glad that you also took the babies' ashes. Seriously, that makes me feel a lot better, and like it's a good idea. I didn't want to think I was crazy. That's AWESOME info about the monitor, too - I haven't asked any doctors or anything, so this was all kind of a whim. That definitely gives me something to think about.
You cracked me up with peeing on your hand....peeing standing up is a PITA!!! I can barely even reach that area anymore haha. I am interested in angelcare too...love to hear everyones thoughts. Hugs!!! Almost 30 weeks YAY! xxx
Nan - I am so glad that I am not alone! I figure I might as well just admit the hand thing - it's ridiculous, but I just can't see anything, either!
Angie what happened to the little pottyseat? LOL
I am glad you had a great appt. *hugs*
i don't it would be weird if you took Maddie's ashes to the hospital with you. i take Calvin's urn to many places, including family parties (only immediately family though). when we went to spend christmas in las vegas we brought Calvin's ashes with us, too. I put them in the white plastic box that the funeral home gave them to us in and when we got the hotel, I transferred them back into the urn we bought for him.
Why are you peeing on your hand?!?! And why does that thought make me smile so?!? :)
I'm so glad your appointment went well! And I can totally understand you wanting to bring Maddie's ashes with you - I don't think it's weird at all!
(((hugs)))
Hooray for peeing on your hand! That's fun!
I so pee on my hand too, seriously they need to come up with something different! I can't see down there either! I might have to give peeing standing up a shot! I really want and angel care monitor as well, I can't lose this child to SIDS. Doctors will of course tell you that you dont need one, they also tell you that your body knows what its doing and makes babies perfectly... you know me 100% against whatever comes out of a doctors mouth. Glad you had a great apt!
Seriously, you guys are all making me feel so much better about the peeing thing. I thought I was just this weird woman with horrible aim, and that I should be able to do it without seeing around my belly.
As soon as my belly popped with Jillian, I started peeing on my hand at every doctor's appointment. You're definitely not alone on that!
I understand wanting to take Maddie's urn with you. I hate leaving Jillian's, but at the same time, I get nervous leaving it here when we're away. I have a little urn necklace with some of her remains in there, so fortunately, I have a tiny bit of her with me everywhere I go.
We bought an Angelcare monitor for my daughter Kyndra and used it a little. I liked it!
Post a Comment