Tuesday, June 08, 2010

33.5 weeks - Breastfeeding Class

Well, we finally had our class on breastfeeding last night (it was rescheduled from May).  I was so glad to go, but I have to admit - the whole idea of BFing scares me a little bit.  As I told my friend N via e-mail, I screwed up "cooking" Sudden.ly Salad.  Before you think, "Ha, she's joking, that's mildly humorous" - no, I'm not joking.  I truly and honestly put the flavored mixture in the boiling water.  How am I prepared for feeding an entire human with my own breast if I can't make something akin to mac and cheese?

The class was good, though.  There was a lot more time with the lactation consultant convincing about the benefits of breastfeeding than was probably necessary, since we all were there and had paid to learn.  I may have been a little more sensitive to this than I would normally have been, though - I was in a ton of pain.  I had been hoping to go back to work for a couple hours at a time for a couple of days a week here before too long, but this may have made me realize that I'm possibly not quite ready for that. 

Anyway, here are the highlights:

1.  There were some ugly babies and breasts on that video.  I hate saying that, but it's true.  There was one baby who had fur all over it - not in the way that it was just a hairy baby, but more like it looked like it was part gorilla.  My husband said on the way home, "There were only, like, three good boobs in that whole video."  I didn't stop to ask if he meant three pair, or three total.  If just three total - what happened to the other one of that pair?

2.  We were supposed to bring dolls, but only a couple of us did.  Our doll wasn't very big, so I felt a little lacking - especially when we walked in and the other couple who brought one had a doll that weighed at least 15 lbs.  Ours ended up being a lot more ideal for the class, but I felt dwarved.

3.  Cheryl of Cheryllookingforward had told me that they had a pillow shaped like a breast in her BFing class, but it was a really curious sight to behold in person.  I kept wondering what company specializes in the design and production of pillows shaped like breasts.  There was even a little pull cord that she used to invert the nipple - it was bizarre.  I wonder if you can get those pillows in a size that would work on your bed?

4.  Again probably because I was in pain, but there was one guy I wanted to smother with the boob pillow.  It sounds bad to say this, but he was kind of the suck-up (he laughed at everything the LC said, even if it wasn't funny).  What bugged me, though, is that he kept taking the class (which was already running way past time) off-topic.  At one point the LC mentioned how breast milk will naturally immunize your baby against certain things, and he shoots up his hand to ask if this means that they won't need to vaccinate.  I inwardly groaned, waiting for the fireworks to start.  The nurse just kind of looked at him and gently explained that breast milk doesn't immunize your child against, say, polio, but more like the common cold.  So, he asked the question again, should we vaccinate.  This was neither the time nor the place for that debate.  Luckily, she just gave him a short answer and said to ask their pediatrician.

It may sound as if I didn't get a lot out of the class, but I truly did - I just kept myself entertained, too.  One of the good things I found out for sure (I'd already been pretty sure, but not 100%) was that our health insurance pays for a breast pump.  We just get a prescription from our OB, and take it to the pharmacy in the hospital - they have Med.ela backpacks, which is what I wanted anyway.  I called the insurance company today, and they verified that not only have I met my deductible for the year, but have almost hit my out-of-pocket max (yay?).  Most we should have to pay for things (besides the copay) from here on out is around $60. 

I also will apparently be doing a lot of the "football hold," since we'll be doing a C-section.  My husband, a huge football fan, found endless amusement in this.  :)  Anyway - OB check-up tomorrow (just a manual exam).  Let's hope for no more dilation!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

lmao

making formula is closer to cooking that breastfeeding is!! The best advice that I can give is just relax!! Have a quiet place that is just you and babe, maybe have some soothing background music and just bond with baby... you'll both figure it out- you just have to be patient. Some people do struggle, but moms and babies are MADE to breastfeed!! You'll both get the hang of it in no time I'm sure!!!

jill said...

OMG this post was hilarious! :) Thanks for that, I'm having a bad night and you definitely made me smile.

That guy you wanted to smother with the boob pillow (haha) - there seems to be one of those guys in EVERY meeting, lecture, class, discussion and they drive me bonkers!!

I'm sure you'll have silly mistakes like your cooking incident with breastfeeding, but you'll learn as you go, and so will the baby :)

(you should totally ask your husband if he meant 3 pair or 3 total... im curious! haha)

S.I.F. said...

Your insurance company pays for your pump? Is that normal? Because that is amazing!

Almost as amazing as Mr. Dingbat trying to start World War III in your breastfeeding class. What an idiot!

Heather said...

You are hilarious!!!

Bree said...

bf was sooo hard at first. i was ready to give up on day 3. especially after she turned purple on me while bfing. but, i'm glad i kept at it. i didn't go to a class, but saw a lactation consultant in the hospital several times. just sayin, don't get discouraged if things aren't smooth at first. baby jota and you will get the hang of it.

Anonymous said...

football hold huh? Who scores the touch down if the baby is fed? You or the baby? LOL Just kidding. I don't know enough about bf so that could have sounded stupid.

I am sure that it will all work out in the end. *hugs*

Lowell said...

Sonofabitch! Our insurance pays for the breast pump? Arrrgh! I wish I'd checked that before dropping more money than I want to think about on the one we bought with Holden.

Holly said...

I remember the fake boob pillow and the doll. lol Hey no fair though, my fake boob didn't invert its nipple!! ;)

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

PMM - I just love that encouragement, it makes me feel so much better! I think I worry myself too much!

Jill - LOL, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm also glad to know that "that guy" doesn't only annoy me - it drives me insane!

SIF - I was just beside myself. Ask your pediatrician, dude. This class isn't even a general parenting class, it's got a pretty narrow scope.

Bree - It's good to hear to just stick with it, and to hear some realism about those first few days.

Jess - It made me laugh, because JTD was telling me all about how he could teach me the proper way to "tuck and run." :D

Lowell - I couldn't believe they covered it! I was really excited - that's such a huge savings of money. I'm so sorry nobody pointed you in the right direction - that sucks.

Holly - I love that you know exactly what I'm talking about! The pillow was just bizarre, but it was way weirder with the inverted nipple!!

cheryllookingforward said...

My fake boob pillow didn't invert it's nipple, either! I wish it had so I would have known about them. Inverted nipples aren't all bad :)

Anyway, I agree that they spend a lot of time in those classes convincing you to BF, even though you clearly want to. They did help me, though. I knew what to do to help latch and I'm pretty confident now.

As you know, I was terrified about how BFing would go, and I'm pleased to say that it is going well. I'm still not able to whip it out in the grocery store and I need my boppy and all that, but he's growing and pooping and that's what is important.

I know you'll do a good job. You're prepared!

Cape Girl said...

I have to say that you cracked me up with that post. I can totally picture the whole thing!

I think you'll do awesome at breastfeeding. In some ways I think it's built into us. That's what those boobs are for!
XOXO

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Cheryl - I am so, so glad that it's going so well for you. I echoed so many of your sentiments when you were concerned, so I hope I'm just as able to be confident later on. I do feel like the latching stuff was really helpful - she didn't get into it as much as I'd like, but some.

Cape Girl - I agree, I think this is just what we're meant to do! Unlike making Sudde.nly Salad, right? :) This is more natural!