Yesterday was my first day in about three and a half months where I haven’t injected myself with a foreign substance! Since we hit 12 weeks on Saturday, we got to stop the daily progesterone shots and estrogen patches. I’ll start a different type of progesterone injection after the cerclage, but it will likely be less often, and a different type of progesterone. I was getting some pretty horrible reactions at the sites where we inject (since the post-transfer shots are intramuscular, we can really only do them on my “way lower back” area), so it’s really nice to be able to give that area a time to heal.
It’s so strange – when we hit this point with Maddie and stopped the IVF meds, it felt almost like we were a normal pregnant couple now instead of IVF’ers. There were no more RE appointments (which meant no more special treatment with the extra ultrasounds!), no extra meds, a regular schedule of OB appointments. I can’t really say that I have that same feeling of being “normal” this time –granted, we’re not. We’re pretty high-risk, and being treated as such (for which I am grateful). It’s just a little strange how there’s not any going back.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
One of the things I've had to cope with since Jillian died is knowing that I will never have a normal pregnancy. I feel like of silly being sad about that sometimes, and deep down I'm okay with it (actually, I'm glad I'll be watched so closely), but it has impacted me more than I thought it would.
I'm glad you have a break from the shots!
There's definitely no going back. I am glad the injections are over, I know that must be a relief. I hate that I will always be considered high risk, but then again I love it too. I get to see my baby more on the u/s and being watched more closely just puts my mind to rest :)
Praying for you and your rainbow.
I'm glad the injections are over for you. Wouldn't it be nice to have a normal pregnancy? I told Nathan the other day that one of the reasons I prefer embryo adoption is because I want to experience that. But then I realized, even a healthy pregnancy will not be normal for me. It never will. (((hugs)))
I know exactly what you mean. Being an IVFer, you're not normal to begin with, but the memory of how you got there dims as your pregnancy progresses. But now, having lost Wyatt, things will never feel "normal" next time. I think I will be very glad to have all the extra attention, though.
I'm so happy to hear you've gotten to stop the shots, at least for awhile!
You ladies are all amazing, and say it so well - I'm glad for the extra attention, quite honestly! It's also nice to give my butt a break here. ;)
Yeah for a few weeks without shots!
Glad you'll have a bit of time away from the shots and hopefully not have to take them as often as before! I'm praying everything goes smoothly from here on out. The extra close watch will hopefully be all it takes for a smooth journey this time.
Happy that you won't have to do anymore of those injections. There definitely is no going back although being monitored more will hopefully give you some peace of mind. xo
Cheryl - I'm cheering with you! :)
Lynn - I'm thinking that the shots will only be every other week when they resume, so hopefully that makes it easier! You're so sweet!
Jill - you're such a sweetie! It's funny how something so good can be so sad in a way, too.
Is there ever a "normal?" I know what you mean and I can imagine it feels as normal as it can be. I am glad to hear all is well...thinking of you, Jota and Maddie as well. *hugs*
Post a Comment