I posted about this book the other day (LINK) when I ordered it, and just wanted to follow up now that we've received it.
To preface, I think it's a really great idea to share with my child from a young age that we did IVF/FET to have her. I want her to know how desparately we have wanted her for so long. I think a children's book is a great idea. We kind of wanted to start reading this to Baby A around age 3 years old or so.
I think the book is really well done, but I think it may be a little more clinical/precise than we wanted to be at that age. It uses the word "sp.erm" an awful lot - while I plan on using more clinical words than "hoo-ha" with her, I don't know that I'll be quite ready for the S word. JTD read it, and had slightly more humorous observations - I wish I had a scanner, but the illustration of the father handing his sample over to the lab tech had a big smile on both's faces. That is not how JTD remembers it - it was more of a furtive hand-off. (He also pointed out that the sample glass itself was unrealistically full, which made me laugh.)
I know it's crazy, and I don't know what I'd do for illustrations, but I've been thinking about making my own book for Baby A. I've seen several books that are great at explaining about the angel baby who went before them, so I feel like I have a lot of resources for introducing her to why Maddie isn't here, but want something to introduce her to IVF/FET at a younger age (I think this book will be great when she's older, just maybe not so great for early on). I don't know, it's a lot to think about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
I will have to check out the link for that book. I have always wondered about when the right time is to tell your child about IVF. I never thought about them knowing at a young age. I like your book idea and love that this baby will always know about Maddie. xo
That is interesting although I didn't know that many of these books existed until I joined this community.
I love the book idea...I am huge into 'self help books' (aka bibliotherapy).
I can only imagine that writing a book would be just as soothing as reading one for one's mind and spirit.
I think it is a wonderful idea!!!
I too love the idea of the book!
And on the off topic, you and I are having our baby showers on the same day!!
When my best friends mom died and she got pregnant shortly after, I wrote a childrens book for her (and her daughter) about how grandma sent her from heaven. I posted an ad on craigslist and found a student who was willing to illustrate the entire thing for me for free in exchange for a copy of the book for his portfolio. I found a company that does short prints (I only wanted 5 copies) and the whole thing came out looking like something you would pick up at a bookstore! I totally think you could write a book, and it would be amazing!
I love the idea of you writing your own book! You could maybe do it as a book with real pictures you have from Maddie's pregnancy and birth? Also, I read a blog where the writer draws pretty well but I'm not sure if should be willing to help or what she might charge if she does.
JTD's observations about the book totally made me laugh out loud!
I think writing something of your own is a great idea. When you can't find what you are looking for then you just do things yourself.
I think writing your own book is a great idea!!! Especially if you think this one is a bit much!
I think that there is a good chance that there is a scanner at one of our places of employment if you can get the book to my possession.
I can't draw, but if you wanted to live action photography, I think it would be a great picture for the nursery. JTD smiling and handing off a cup to the tech. I know a guy who owns a camera and would take said picture.
You guys are awesome - thanks so much for all of the support. :) I think I'm going to take a swing at some text, and then take S.I.F.'s idea of checking with the local university's art department about illustration.
Photography139 - I know I already told you this, but I'll take a swing at convincing him that this is a good idea tonight. We'll see how far I get. :)
Somewhere, I have the photos of my babe as an embryo - though I don't know which one she is - there were five. She hasn't seen them, but she will.
BTW, It's Not The Stork touches on the fact that there are other ways to babies than just the usual. Good book for when the time comes.
Post a Comment