I try to be a positive person, but I'm also a worrier... which makes for an interesting mix. However, so much of life is just in perspective.
I could absolutely focus on the negative things in my past. My biological dad revealed himself to be abusive and addicted to drugs after he married my mom. He was later in a fire, and sustained some serious brain damage as part of it (he is in a group program now). I had cancer twice (once as a child, and once at age 22), and eating issues after each bout (not the greatest combination with radiation). My mother and I are estranged. I had severe fertility issues, which led to us needing IVF to conceive... at which time the unthinkable happened, and I lost my precious baby girl. I could let these things and others define me, and could wallow in them.
However, I know that there are many, many others who have had much harder lives than I have. God gave me an amazing husband who loves me. I have a wonderful home, and am always safe and fed. My stepfather is one of the most supportive people on Earth. I have a job at which I am very good, I have friends who mean the world to me. I have the most amazing, beautiful daughter on Earth sleeping in my arms, and another waiting for me in Heaven. I have love and hope. Not too shabby, hunh?
Sunday, November 07, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
I think it is so important in life to look at the upside and to not wallow in the sad stuff. We don't have to let our pasts define us! Yes, it's important to reflect where we've come from but to use it to help us to appreciate where we are today...
Huge ((hugs)) to you and give Alice a kiss from her future MIL :)
Not too shabby at all! I think sometimes we have to choose to look at the bright side, if not we can wind up in a very dark place. xx
You two know so very well how important perspective is!
You are so seriously amazing.
I have been completely wallowing lately.
I need to stop.
Thank you for reminding me :)
Alice is gorgeous and so are you!
Not too shabby, indeed! What a beautiful post! Today one of the doctors said, "You have a great attitude and you're smiling." I assured her I have my moments but if we all gave up when things got rough or died when a loved one left us, what would that do? As long as we're here on earth, we must LIVE! Life is a gift. Thanks for the reminder!
Not too shabby at all!
You have been through so much and the fact that you can look at the positive shows what kind of person you are. A wonderful person (hugs)
I think focusing on the positive is so important, and you do it so well.
I've had some things in my past too, things that I've pretty much locked away and chosen to never discuss. I could easily let those things define me, or use them as an excuse to beg for the pity of others. But like you, I try so hard to focus on what is good in my life. Sure, these things DO have an impact on who we are. But we can determine HOW they impact us.
You are one amazing person!!!
You have overcame a lot...and you are amazing because of it.
Can I say that I could just look at that picture forever? She is too, too precious.
And THAT is why I love you! We all have suck in our lives and I do believe firmly that we should take ownership of our suck. That being said, I also believe that we shouldn't let that suck define us or be our go-to excuse when life gets hard. (How can I love you and your girls so very much when we have never even met in real life?!)
Simply beautiful . . .♥
Post a Comment