Judgment. We're all guilty of it about some things, but don't really think about it until we're the victims of it.
You see it even in the infertility and loss communities, in the mama communities. Those of us who have babies after our struggles with horrible infertility receive comments about how grateful we should be from those who haven't been blessed yet - thus diminishing our own struggles, trying to make us feel like we're no longer "in the pack." Same thing with those who have lost their babies and haven't yet had another - most baby-loss mamas are not judgmental, but there are times when the despair and jealousy can creep up inside of you, and you lash out.
"Regular" mamas receive this, too. Take the breastfeeding wars, for example. I was personally able to battle through incredible hardships with BFing, and am still going strong with no end in sight. Not everyone is that lucky - there are people who don't make milk, who don't have the resources to make it work. Of course it makes me a tiny bit sad when someone doesn't try, but that's not my place to judge - they have their own reasons, none of which I'm privy to. On the flip side, a woman receives judgment if she goes "too long" (as if there is such a thing). I plan on BFing as Alice's main source of nutrition until a year, and then beyond that as she wants (although I will likely have to either stop or pump-and-dump when we do the next FET, as Lup.ron isn't compatible with BFing).
Why do I bring this up? I was made to feel pretty awful this last weekend. A group of women who do "gentle parenting" made a large number of catty comments about anyone who has had anything other than a home/natural childbirth. This obviously is a very personal subject to me. First of all, I was never a great candidate for home birth - as we found during both of my cancer surgeries, and then again when I had Maddie, my blood pressure dips incredibly low when I lose much blood. It's not safe for me to be at home when this happens. Then, when we got pregnant with Alice, I chose the Shirodkar cerclage because it had better statistical results - since there is a permanent metal ribbon in my cervix, that is not a valid exit strategy for the baby, thereby necessitating a C-section. Their comments made me feel bad both about losing my baby, and for doing what I needed to do to make sure that Alice was safe - kind of hypocritical for a group that is about "respect," but I digress.
When it comes down to it, I shouldn't have even had to explain to anyone that my C-section was medically necessary. I have friends who opted to be induced (or even had elective C-sections) for personal or medical reasons. That does not make them less of a respectful mother - in fact, it brings the baby into the world at a time when the mother is the most prepared to welcome them in a peaceful and happy manner. That fosters a close relationship with the baby. I totally agree that natural is an ideal environment for those who are lucky enough to have that option, but there is NO authority on attachment parenting that requires it.
Enough about my personal diatribe - my point, now that I've eventually gotten there, is that it's just unfair and not right to try and judge someone without knowing their situation. And, as it's impossible to ever know all of another's situation... again, it's not right to judge them. Opinions are wonderful things, and we've all got them - but as I age, I realize that all of those concrete ideals I had when I was younger are tempered, that life is rarely black and white. Life happens, and we just have to adapt with the hands we're dealt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
First, let me say that I am a HUGE proponent of natural, home births. That being said, I'm not a candidate for them. I pretty much have had almost every intervention my OB does, I think, complete with a nice long stay in the hospital and a c/s! Natural births at home are the ideal, I think, because birth is natural. But... And that's a big BUT, they arent everyone's cup of tea, even if they are good candidates. And, just because I'm a crunchy hippie dippy mom who wanted the natural homebirth and breastfeeding until 2, my body had other plans and I'm content to be a babywearing, attachment parenting, baby-led parent. And that is perfect for us. It has to be.
I am SO sorry that you were made to feel inadequate or bad- you have NOTHING to feel sorry for. It's like making a paraplegic feel bad that she cant run a race. Women like you and I just dont have the luxury of doing everything we want in birth. Instead, it's about staying pregnant and delivering safely. Anyone who truly understands birth would get that.
It's funny that this is coming up... I just wrote a similar post. And, recently, I've been invited to my midwife's birthing circle. I know most of the women there have had HBs and natural births and, although I feel right there with them, I am afraid to expose myself, too. We'll see...
Michele, I was thinking of you, too, when I wrote this! I love your analogy - that's totally it. We weren't given the options we wanted, so we went with what we had. And, in the end, our babies are here safely - that's the most important thing.
AHHHHHH!!!! This makes me so mad. I don't walk around telling home birth/natural birth people that they are wrong! I understand why they do it, It must be an awesome thing to do. But I will not let anyone tell me that I am less of a mom because I was induced and ended up with a c-section. I was induced, like you said, for a good reason. I have a blood clotting disease. I was not willing to risk my baby's life by waiting any longer for him to come out. Maybe my induction led to my c-section, but I don't care. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
I'm preaching to the choir here, I know it. But if you're going to judge people, judge the women who don't love and care for their babies. Not us. This is an example of people just focusing their attention on the wrong things.
Oh, sister! You've seen my rants about judgemental mommas on Cooper's blog and fb, haven't you? Nothing pisses me off more than for holier-than-thou mommas to come in and cut you down in attempts to make themselves feel like #1 mom. It's not like they get a better/bigger mother's day gift because they were able to give birth out of their vaginas! Who wants a c-section? They're more of longer and painful recovery and I think MOST women would ideally love to have a natural birth but that isn't always the case! I've had 2 c-sections and will always agonize over not being able to feel the joy of pushing your child out into this world and having your screaming baby placed on your chest. Imagine having a c-section to give birth to a dead baby. I can't even begin to go into the emotions involved in that one.
Oh, and I'm not in the mood to go into the bf bashing that takes place in our society. Really, it comes from both sides! If you didn't bf long enough than you're selfish and if you bf too long than you have dependency issues. Oh, brother!
Yes, judgement stings! I try to give advice only when asked and try to do it in only a constructive manner. Really, as long as you love your child, provide them food, security, a shelter over their head, etc. then I don't care how you do things! To each their own,eh?
While I'm a huge fan of trying to be natural, I'm also a huge fan of flexibility.
On the rare occasions I have been chastised for not trying for a VBAC (I have factor leiden V, had been off the baby aspirin to thin my blood for 2 weeks, she wasn't coming on her own, wouldn't induce because it was a vbac, and I was terrified of stillbirth), the judgmental one has not caught me on a good day. At the end of the day, my only concern was having a healthy, live baby in my arms to take home with me. If that meant I was cut in half to get her here, that was a sacrifice I was willing to make.
In the grand scheme of things, birthing is such a short period of time, life with your child is forever. I wanted a vbac sooooooo bad, but I cared so much more about having her here healthy and alive than I did about me having the perfect birth experience.
Cheryl - nobody who is REMOTELY aware of your birth story with W could think for a minute that you did anything other than what was right for him.
Jen - I knew you'd know exactly what I was talking about! I'm sending you hugs and love, friend.
Denise - I think you made the absolute right call! And what's more important... it doesn't matter what I think! :)
I think for those of us who have lost babies, the perspective really does change from "I want the ideal" to "I want whatever gets my baby out safely". I've found that even my parenting style is much more flexible because GOD, aren't I just so lucky that she's even here? I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff, and really, in the grand scheme of a child's life, isn't their actual birth (and really, even their first year of life) such a small part of a much bigger picture? My daughter is healthy, happy and HERE. And I don't feel bad for even one minute for having to have had her by c-section. In fact, I was so terrified and anxious during my whole pregnancy, that when my OB offered to do it a week before my due date, I jumped at the chance, even though it wasn't absolutely necessary (the c-section WAS necessary, but it wasn't necessary that it was scheduled or early- we could have waited till she decided to come on her own). I look at Caitlyn and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Jaclyn, I know that you know so very well how this all feels, what the stakes are. I totally agree - I am unrepentant for my decisions.
It seems that there is a growing number of women who think that you aren't truly a good mother until you judge the crap out of someone else for being what they consider a 'bad' mother. I won't bother sharing the Sabrina Porterfield link with you again because I know you already have it - and because it isn't you who needs to read it anyway!
To this day my mother passes judgement for me allowing the doctor to strip my membranes at 37 weeks when I was pregnant with M.aren, telling me that I should have just let nature take its course, refusing to acknowledge (1) that she would have been well over 10 pounds had I gone to 40 weeks and (2) that she had a true and complete knot in her umbilical cord and that it was a total blessing that the stiping put me in labor - the OB that delivered her was even glad!
I know I am pretty late in posting this response, but some people out there really just need to mind their own business. They don't get it or even realize how lucky they are to be part of "the norm." You do what you do to keep your baby safe and that should be the end of it. Argh!!
Sorry that Argh was not meant at you...just frustration. *hugs*
Post a Comment