Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inspiration

A friend asked me recently who was the biggest source of inspiration to me during the hardest parts of our loss with Maddie. (I think that there are still times that are just as hard, but I understand the question.)


I think I've had a lot of very inspirational people in my life - people who have poured out their hearts and sympathy, who have loved our little girl despite many never even having seen her. There's one person, though, who knows loss, and whose strength and character have been a constant inspiration to me. (I hope he doesn't mind if I write this - I'll keep it anonymous.)

My friend, to whom I will refer as "C," lost both his young wife and the beautiful little boy she was carrying (just in the second trimester) a few years ago in a truly tragic home accident. After Maddie passed on, he was so kind and reached out to me in my grief - although most people only discussed the passing of his wife, C had been and is still truly grieving two separate loved ones.

This would make a lot of people jaded, angry, distant. I have been so inspired by the Christian, caring, loving attitude that this friend has displayed time and again. Even though he has so many things of his own to worry about, he reached out to me to share in my grief. I just don't know many people who are that strong and brave, and it has truly been something that I aspire to be.

7 comments:

Bree said...

I'm glad you are surrounded by so many people who love Maddie with you. Your friend C must be an amazing man. What a heartbreaking story. Sending love and peace to him.

Cape Girl said...

I think it amazing how people's real true colors come out in times of such sorrow and tragedy. He sounds like a wonderful friend and I'm so sorry for his losses. That's horrible. I am, however glad that you have someone who understands and has reached out to you.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Thanks, you guys. I hope I didn't embarrass him with the blog, but I just feel like that kind of bravery and giving deserves recognition.

Anonymous said...

It is often very difficult to find people who are able to support and love us in times of such great adversity. I am so glad that you have C. and I can only imagine that his support of you is somewhat therapeutic for him as well.

Heather said...

I am so glad you had your friend C in your life. It helps so much to be connected with someone who really understands. I am so sorry for the tragedy he has been through. I cannot even imagine.

Holly said...

How heartbreaking for your friend C. I'm sure he wished many times that people would acknowledge his son when they didn't. He seems like a very inspirational person.

Anonymous said...

C sounds like a phenominal human being. Not only strong, but compassionate and to support you when he is facing his own loss. I am so glad you have him in your life.

Will say some prayers for healing for him.