Monday, October 11, 2010

Parenting Style

Cheryl posted today about her parenting philosophy, and I really liked the idea.  Hence, I'm stealing it (sorry, Cheryl!).

I am a huge fan of Attachment Parenting, because it is just a natural extension of how I parent already.  All of it makes sense to me.  However, I don't just do something "because Dr. Sears said so." 

I breastfeed, but I breastfeed how I can due to anatomy (mine and hers).  I nurse Alice for as long as I can, then pump while JTD gives her whatever I pumped at the last feeding.  There's a necessity every once in a while to supplement with formula, but that equates to maybe 4 oz. of formula per week.  Maybe.

We co-sleep, and I'm proud of it.  First of all, if you do it safely, it reduces the risk of SIDS (link).  Secondly, it has totally changed the way Alice sleeps.  She was getting up every 45 minutes or so for the first 5 weeks of her life.  I started co-sleeping with her, and she can now go 4 - 7 hours at a time.  She's amazing, and I love the closeness, since I don't get to be at home with her during the day.

I unfortunately have to work, even though I wish I could stay at home.  We only have to take her to 12 hours of daycare each week - I work 7 - 4 on Monday - Friday, and JTD works 2 p.m. - 10 p.m. Monday - Thursday, has Friday off, and works Saturday morning.  We don't get to see each other much, but it is best for her.  We rarely go anywhere without her, so that means our social lives have changed greatly.
 
I respect others' choice to do so, but I refuse to let A "cry it out" in any form.  I can't imagine being able to do so - my heart aches and I start crying, too, when I can't help her to stop crying.  I want her every moment to be joyful, and want her to trust me.  We do everything on-demand, and just let her tell us her needs.

We are vaccinating on schedule, and we also use disposable diapers. I wish we had the time or stomach to use cloth, but we don't.



We baby-wear when possible.  I had a Hotsling, but it never really worked that well for us.  I got a Beco Butterfly (much like an Ergo, but even higher rated) - I love it, and so does she.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to do what is most comfortable for you and Alice :)

S.I.F. said...

I love hearing about your parenting style! I love even more that you get to put it into action!!

Heather said...

I think it sounds great!

Holly said...

I'm AP in a lot of ways. Even more so after Carleigh.

I def love BFing. Saves a lot of money and it's great bonding!! I was putting Lainey in her bassinet but after the first night she wasn't sleeping well in it so we are cosleeping now and she sleeps so much better.

Doing a lot of babywearing!! Lainey hasn't had any vaccines yet. She'll get some at her 2 month appt but I think we're gonna stretch them out this time instead of doing them all at once.

And I love CDing!!

Christy said...

"I wish we had the time or the stomach to do cloth." This cracked me up for some reason-I am SO the same way. I fold those diapers up as FAST as I can! :)
You are an AMAZING mommy, Angie!!

Cape Girl said...

I really liked reading this post. I totally agree with attachment parenting, too. My mother and grandmother always fought when us kids were younger. My grandmother was big on the "crying it out", my mom was the opposite. I can't imagine just listening my cry....

Sounds like things are going great!

Nan & Mike said...

You are doing so great! Thanks for sharing your style :) I think Ive been wingin it LOL. Thanks always for your sweet comments too xxx Lots of hugs, Nan