Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm officially considered "high-maintenance" by my OB's office after today. This is an odd, less-than-great feeling, since I try to be the opposite of high-maintenance in my normal life. I'm definitely particular and thorough, but not high-maintenance. (Well, unless we're talking about food. Then I'm incredibly picky - texture, taste, etc. really get to me, and I usually don't eat leftovers. Anyway, not the point.)
Yesterday afternoon my back started aching pretty badly. It was down pretty low, and radiated across my entire back. I've been lying down for about 10 weeks now, though, so I figured it was the aches and pains I have had pretty constantly, just maybe a bit worse. The pressure and stretching I've been feeling in my cervix was happening more frequently, though, and was hurting more. I don't think I would have freaked out about that if I hadn't had a fairly painful contraction around 8:30. I've been having lots of Braxton Hicks, but this one seemed to really put pressure on the cervix and hurt the abdomen some, and it just wasn't good. I didn't have another one that big all night (just one other smaller one), so I figured I'd wait until morning, then call yet again.
I did, and they wanted to see me, just to be safe. My OB was just awesome - I started apologizing the minute he came into the room (I am an over-apologizer, but I really wanted to let him know that I feel bad for bothering them so much). He told me not to worry about it, they told me to come in as often as need be for a reason, and they meant it. He explained to the med student who's been with him for a couple of weeks how important the weeks between 23 and 27-28 are for survival rate likelihood, and explained to him that the next four weeks would be hell on me. It was nice to just hear that I'm not insane.
So, he did another manual exam. Didn't hurt quite as bad as Monday, but still was really painful. He said there's still pressure on the cerclage, but we're still long and tight. He said that we were going to get a cervical length ultrasound, though, just to be safe.
The ultrasound, however, went amazing. Still over 3 cm long, still closed and tight, and the tech was shocked (as was the doctor) to not see any funneling. Baby Jota's heartrate was 154 bpm, and she's still a girl. :) It was so amazing to see her with a little bit of a tummy on her - she's gotten so big in just three weeks.
I went back to follow-up with the doctor, and he just kept patting my hand and telling me that we're doing great. This type of stuff is bound to happen with a truly incompetent cervix, and I'm bound to get upset - we lost a baby before in the saddest way imaginable, so this is going to be terrifying. It just is. We will see him again next Tuesday for another u/s, but he said to continue calling if I had any problems. I've never been so happy to be sent home in my life.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
For once in your life don't allow the worry of being high maintenance be an issue for you! That's what they're there for! I know that I didn't truly let out a breath until I got past 28 weeks...and, I'm sure you will be the same so know that you're not insane :)
Thinking of you both!
Oh,Jen, that helps so much to know I'm not alone. I keep pacing to these different milestones! I am going to just call when I need - that's why I hired them, right? :)
First of all, I'm so glad everything is going so well! I, too, am an over-apologizer. Big time. But when I get pregnant again, I plan on being ok with needing the extra attention. You deserve it. AND that's what the doctor is for! Sending lots of love.
I'm so happy everything is good, and I'm even happier that your doctors office is so good to you!
the way I see it, we lost a child....and if we demand a little more attention, its justified. *hugs* Glad all is well.
Your doctor sounds so wonderful! I'm happy everything is ok after that scare. Never feel bad about calling the doctor - everyone has already told you that, but I'll say it again.
Oh don't worry about being high-maintenance! You are just caring for your baby, and it's ALWAYS better to call! I'm so glad your doctor understands that and supports you, and even more glad that everything looks so good!!
You guys are just amazing! I can't tell you how glad I was to be able to post that yesterday... or how much it means to me to receive all of your e-love! :) Hugs!
That is the most awesome news EVER! I am absolutely thrilled to read this.
And don't apologize for being high-maintenance! You 'earned' the right to be concerned in the worst way possible, and you now have every right to take whatever steps you need to ensure Baby J's well being, as well as to protect your own mental health.
F&F - That's what I keep thinking, is that at least the calls/maintenance are keeping me sane. Baby J can't have her mom going off the deep end, so everything helps!
I feel like I'm reading about my life when I read your posts. I'm usually not high maintenance either and find myself apologizing every time I call/see my doctors. Whatever it takes, right? We can do this! I'd say my hardest weeks were 25-28. I hardly left my house because I was so scared. So, know it's ok to be freaked right now, but you're so close and I truly believe you'll get to 28 weeks and then many more.
Post a Comment