Wednesday, October 21, 2009

15 weeks and 1 day - Uncertainty

I’m kind of weighing options at this point. We have three perfect 6-day blastocysts frozen. Our RE’s office freezes them in straws of two – so we have one straw with two babies, one with one. We transferred two when I became pregnant with Maddie, but she was the only one who implanted.


When I first talked to my super-fantastic RE right after I lost Maddie and was exploring our options for this, we discussed whether it would be more prudent to transfer one or two. My thinking was, “If my cervix is incompetent, two babies will put on more stress than one.” He agreed that it might be better to start with the single embryo, and then go to the two if that doesn’t work.

Now I just keep wondering if we should do the two due to the likelihood that only one would implant? I know that twins are very common – but what if we only transfer one and it doesn’t take? It’s not like this is free. I just don’t know how to balance the uncertainty of even getting pregnant with the chances that my cervix wouldn’t allow me to stay that way (since cerclages are only about 80% effective). Grr. I should probably just stick with the original plan.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie, first and formost *hugs* I know this can't be an easy decision to make. You make some very valid arguements both ways.

I assume...and please correct me if I am wrong that you will be considered high risk if you are pregnant with twins...maybe even because of the IC? Wouldn't they be measuring you on a regular basis so they could be proactive instead of reactive?

I am sure Michele will see your post and completely understand what you are feeling. *hugs* I wish I could offere more, but I can keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am here also if you need to vent.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Hey, Jess - I would actually be high-risk no matter what, due to the incompetent cervix. So, I'd go in every two weeks to see my OB after the cerclage is put in. I think it would just put even more pressure on the cervix if there were two.

I was actually wondering about Michele when I posted this - I know she's been through a transfer! :)

Thanks so much, Jess. :)

cheryllookingforward said...

I was about to say this is a great post to hear what Michele says!

I'll send you some extra thoughts and prayers while you make this desicion, too.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

It's funny that we all thought of Michele first thing! :) She's done all of this - and she definitely knows how twins would react!

Thank you so very much for the kind words, Cheryl. :)

Heather said...

***hugs*** I know you will make the right decision for you. These kinds of decisions are never easy...

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Hugs right back, Heather - you're awesome! :)

Donna said...

You certainly are stuck between a rock and a hard place!

If you do get pregnant with twins will you be able to do bedrest for the whole time? How easy was it for you to get pregnant with the first IVF transfer?

Even with all the risks - I think I would want to transfer 2 so there would be a better chance of success getting pregnant. (But that's just me!!!)

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Donna, I think you're right - I think there would be an increased risk of bedrest if I got pregnant with twins. My OB doesn't recommend bedrest right away with incompetent cervix - he usually waits to see how the cervix is doing. I would be okay with bedrest, if it means healthy babies - you're right, that's why I'm not sure if just being extra-sure isn't a bad idea! The first transfer worked (one of the two implanted), so there is precedent that I can get pregnant by it... Ugh! It's so complicated! :)

Michele said...

It depends on the cerclage as to its effectiveness. The studies our OB gave us showed Shirodkar's to be about 95% effective (with 36w being the "success" date). There arent studies done with twins, who do put more weight on your cervix. Our doctor's hope was that we'd get to 32 at least with 36 as the goal; we made it to almost 28 with lots of bedrest. Carrying twins was no easy feat with IC but it can be done. You need a very understanding and supportive OB. I wouldnt give up Bobby and Maya for anything in the world, even a full term 36w pregnancy.

You would most certainly be high risk because of the IC and on top of that a twin pregnancy. I'd make sure to use a doctor that is affiliated with a good hospital that has a kick ass level III NICU. Most likely, you will need it.

I cant give any advice about the IVF point of view; our babies are IUI babies, so we didnt have the do we implant one or two talks. We triggered ovulation with 2 mature follicles and 1 immature follicle, so we knew twins were a real possibility. It was scary, especially since there arent studies on cerclages in multiple gestations and we knew that we were treading in pretty unchartered territory. After this pregnancy, our OB has begged us to only trigger one follicle for any subsequent pregnancies. Managing a twin pregnancy was tough and, with twins at home, I think he realizes that we have a better chance of having some normalacy in pregnancy with a singleton.

If you get pregnant with twins, yes, it will be harder to manage, and you may very well end up on pretty strict bedrest. I only carried as long as I did because of the bedrest. My cervix struggled even with the cerclage in place. But I saw just how strong that little thread was when I went into labor and it wouldnt budge. Even in hardcore contractions, it held. That gives me a lot of faith that if there is ever another pregnancy, a cerclage could indeed save our baby/babies. Just like it did Bobby and Maya. (It was the cerc's fault that I went into labor. I measured 43w at 27w and my body just saw itself as overdue and labor began and couldnt be stopped, so in my book, the cerclage did a kick ass job).

Good luck. These are scary things to approach and go through.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Michele, you're awesome. That's the exact type of info and reassurance I was needing. I've been leaning towards a Shirodkar, but I hadn't heard the data in relation to I/C - that's so helpful! Thank you so much - that's such an incredible help. It's so reassuring about the cerclage, too - I was just so worried about it not being strong enough, but that's great. I'm so sorry you have to be a fountain of this knowledge, but you are SO helpful.

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how difficult these decisions are. As always, you are in my thoughts.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You are such a sweetheart. :) Thank you!

Rachel said...

Several people have offered many points to consider and they know far better than me. I have no advice to offer other than to follow your heart.

I'll be praying for you as you make this decision! I'm so glad you have these blasts and you're able to do a FET. I can't wait to read that you got a BFP!

Many hugs :)

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You're a sweetie, Rachel! Thanks - I'm leaning towards just transferring one, at this point. I would love-love-love twins, but I think that it's probably wiser to start with one and move up.