I am pretty sure that I am insane – at least temporarily. Let me explain.
After Maddie passing this summer, my OB put me on Ambien since I can’t sleep (I’m an insomniac naturally, and this all exacerbated it to the point where I can’t sleep at all without it). Both my OB and my RE confirmed for me that Ambien is safe for pregnancy (and to be used indefinitely), so it’s safe to take now during the 2 week wait. Flash forward to when I was at the pharmacy getting my last refill – they explained that they were changing from one generic brand to another, so I would have some of the old look of pills, and some new ones. Well, I opened the vial last night and took my first from this batch – and noticed afterwards that there were indeed two different sets of pills in there, but that none of them looked like my old pills. Two brand new styles I hadn’t seen before.
Now I went into panic mode, as I had already taken one. What if some of the pills were a totally different drug, one that wasn’t safe with pregnancy (assuming I’m pregnant)? And how was I to know which ones were good and which ones were the wrong drug – I’d already taken one, what if I’d taken the wrong one? Should I try and make myself throw up? (By the way – this panic doesn’t really help the sleeping pills work.) I relayed my dilemma to my husband – who told me to just go to sleep and stop obsessing. I ended up praying really hard, calling and leaving the pharmacy a message, and waiting until this morning. The pharmacy called and said that the one I had taken was indeed the new style (whew), and that they were pretty certain the other foreign pills were just from an intermediate batch they’d had between the two. They were fine with me going in and switching those few out so that I’m uniform and safe, however. I’m pretty sure that they just looked at each other like I was crazy when I got done talking to them, but at least I’ll be able to sleep tonight.
Was I nuts? Did I 100% overreact, or just, like, 90%? :)
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
If you're crazy, then so am I because I would have done the same thing. And, for what it's worth, my husband would have had the same reaction. Your peace of mind is ALL that matters!
I was also prescribed Ambien when our world came crashing down. They only gave me 10 and, oddly, I just took the last one. I've never found them all that effective but I'm hoping it will be tonight :)
Is it just me or is it taking forever for your beta day to arrive?!
((HUGS))
You just made me feel so much better, Rachel! I have gotten some, "You're crazy" looks from my husband before - but this one was pretty big. I'm with you - I figure it's more important that I don't freak than them having to take two minutes to replace some pills!
I'm not surprised to hear that the Ambien was questionably helpful for you. It seems to get me to sleep pretty well, but it doesn't last very long. I had some Lunesta for a while that worked better, if you're looking for anything that may be more effective! I'll be hoping you get LOTS of sleep tonight! :)
You just made me giggle - it is!! I'm going to start taking home tests tomorrow, I think. I'm not strong enough to wait until Tuesday!
I can say with 100% certainty that there are people who called the pharmacy with far 'crazier' concerns than those that you had!
There are not enough fingers or toes between me and my entire family to count the number of freak-out phonecalls I made to my husband, the OB office, the perinatology office, and my insurance company during my last pregnancy . . . they all helped me feel better, and most likely gave someone a good laugh!
I have got everything crossed and am counting down the days with you!
You're helping me a ton, too! I feel like my fertility doctor's office gets a ton of voicemails from me around 11 or so at night when I think of whatever panicked question I have at the time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has those freak-out moments!!
You are so sweet!! I am just keeping everything crossed, too - I know a positive isn't a permanent answer, but it's sure a start!
Yay for taking home tests! I feel like I'm going crazy with you and Jess both in the 2ww, and I've fooled myself into thinking I am too because I'm just obsessive.
I would have done the exact same thing with the pills - panicked. I'm so glad you are doing what you need to get peace of mind because I'm sure that doesn't halp the waiting game AT all!
You're so sweet, Heather! I'm considering you in the 2ww, too. :) Like you said, you're in the luteal phase! You are just so kind.
Thank you so much! You're right - I figure that sitting there and getting no sleep, raising my blood pressure isn't helping matters.
you are not crazy at all. I would have done the same thing *hugs* Heck, I think I pulled a muscle pretty good at the gym where it hurts going up stairs in a major way and I refuse to take muscle relaxers...just in case.
Do whatever you can to protect you during the 2ww!!
Heather is so cute!! She is such an awesome cheerleader!!
I don't think you overreacted. I almost lost a week's worth of sleep because I went to the dentist in the TWW. I was afraid to google it. I even put it on my new-OB patient form because I was so freaked out.
Good luck with the first tests! I can't wait to get some good news!
You guys are the best. I was fairly convinced that I was absolutely insane - but you guys are all making me feel so much better. :) I'm glad to know that worrying is normal!
I think you did a good things by checking! I would've done the same!
I had this happen with my Synthroid. I freaked out too. Dont worry- you are perfectly normal.
Michele, you made me feel better. :) I know it's high-strung of me and everything, but it made me feel better to double-check!
Post a Comment