Monday, November 16, 2009

18 weeks and 6 days - Disappointing

Today’s blog post likely won’t have much of interest for most people, but it’s something that I need to say. Warning – it’s long and vaguely preachy!  Hopefully I only need to say this once.


We have purposely kept this whole embryo transfer process incredibly private this time. The reason for this is fairly obvious – there is so much at stake, so many concerns, so many emotions involved that I can’t even begin to describe. Only a short 19 weeks ago today, I was in labor for over 13 hours with my daughter, who I knew the whole time would never make it. There is so much riding on this, no matter what the outcome is. As such, we haven’t told much of anyone – we haven’t told either of our parents or siblings (despite direct questioning), we haven’t shared it with almost anyone, and weren’t planning on it until three months into any pregnancy. I am incredibly close to some of my coworkers, and have kept it quiet there in particular (only having told a couple of people). I have had a few people ask me, however, having “guessed” at it since I was gone two days in a row from work on Nov. 5th and 6th (I think it’s safe to assume that they read this blog, and didn’t guess). Three of the people who've asked are people I wanted to tell but couldn't – a man who is a regular reader and has been a great source of inspiration and support through his own grief, and two women who are very dear friends. These people’s support means so much. There have been a couple others, however, who have “guessed” that aren’t so welcome – most notably, a woman who may truly care, but who has specifically tried to do me harm in the past, who has invaded my privacy to try and hurt me (and improve her own popularity). Either she read this blog, or (more likely) was told by someone.

This disappoints me greatly that the source of immense grief in my life is now fodder for the work gossip mill. I specifically didn’t tell people because I don’t want this getting around – almost everyone knew with Maddie from the moment she was transferred, and I am not emotionally capable of answering all of these questions. I may act at work like I’m “fine” – but it’s because I’ve discovered that it really doesn’t do any good to mourn publicly. There are huge emotions associated with the outcome of this FET either way, and I don’t really want this talked about until I’m ready. There is not a single person I know in “real life” who has even undergone IVF, let alone had to do it a second time after their child was stillborn - this is an incredibly lonely process. I know that the people I mentioned specifically above (and a few others I haven’t mentioned) read my blog out of true concern and love, but this… this is icky.

I started this blog as a safe place, a place where I could come to and share my feelings with other women who can understand this horrible situation of loss and infertility, or with those in “real” life who truly care. It pains me that I have had to lie on this blog – I have said that I’m not taking home tests because I don’t want to face questions. That is a flat-out lie – I have taken three tests since last Thursday, all with the same result. I know what my beta tomorrow will bring, but I just don’t want the results of it being broadcast until I am ready to deal with it all. At this point, I question whether I should even blog anymore - it saddens me that I would lose one of the few outlets I have because of people who just want something to talk about.  So, I guess what it boils down to is this –if you’re here because you care, thank you (and please keep things confidential). If you’re here to gather gossip, please leave. I don’t invade your private life, and ask that you don’t mine. Thank you.

16 comments:

Allison (Ali) said...

I'm right there with you on that one. I don't have the people trying to be cruel (that I know of yet anyway), but I already know that no one except my Boss because of having to have time off will know that we are doing our FET and what the outcome is for a looong looong time afterwards. Of our family I think my grandmother will be the only one I tell.

Bless you and **hugs**

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You are so incredibly sweet, Ali - and that is exactly it. There is just too much, so many emotions, everything is new but tied up with our little ones. It's private for a reason.

Hugs right back!!

Anonymous said...

*huge hugs* I think I was afraid of that happening to me. I haven't shared my blog with anyone IRL. People know it exists, but not the website or who its through.

I wish people could be more sensative to the process that you are going through. Its really none of their business what is going on and when you are ready to share, you are ready to share. *huge hugs* I have lied to a couple people as well and as hurtful as it must feel to you to lie, its what you gotta do to protect yourself.

Please know we will miss you if you stop blogging. *hugs*

Did I interpret you POAS? I am tempted....should I hold off?

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Thank you so much, Jess - it's just disappointing, and also makes me angry. If I haven't told someone, it's for a reason - some of those reasons are more notable than others. Hopefully people just shut their mouths, and this isn't a problem anymore.

Yep, I've POAS - three, actually (one Thursday, one Saturday, one today). I think I'd be 17dpo (if you count the first day of the embryo freeze as ovulation) - where would you be?

Allison (Ali) said...

Oh and I can't wait to find out your outcome (when you are ready to share of course). Finding blogs such as yours have truly helped me and given me hope during this dark time that there will be good things coming for me and for ALL of us!!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Oh, Ali, you just made me tear up. :) Thank you so much - I'm hoping to share tomorrow, or maybe to post an e-mail address or something that people can e-mail to if they want to know. I'm still trying to decide. I can't say how sweet you are. :)

Anonymous said...

*Huge hugs* Honestly, people just really suck sometimes and this is an instance.

I think I am only about 9-10 based on anticipated ovulation day. I am still waiting for the ob to call...it is cycle day 23 today.

cheryllookingforward said...

Sending you more love.
From what I know about you, I can't imagine anyone on the planet wanting to hurt you.
I wish this blog would bring you only support and I hope anyone reading it will realize that.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Jess - it's definitely possible you could get a positive at this point, but I sure wouldn't get discouraged if you don't. With Maddie, I started testing at 13dpo - I got a very faint positive, even though my hCG levels with her were so high they thought she might be twins. It can't hurt to test now, but don't get upset if it doesn't show anything yet - deal? :)

Cheryl, you are just so incredibly sweet. :) I think that the woman who previously was evil to me was doing it for her own good at the time. She's been very sweet since, but she's a huge gossip. I think this is big, juicy news either way - and it is just disappointing that something so hard is this source for giddy talking behind my back. I'm sending huge hugs right back at you. :)

Heather said...

Oh I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. How frustrating it must be!! I understand to a point - most of my IRL people know about my blog because I had started it to keep all of them posted through my pregnancy once I became high-risk and was having weekly appointments. But now I have mixed feelings about them continuing to read it, as I know they do, because only others who have been through a loss can truly understand some things. And it pains me to think there are some things I feel compelled to leave off my blog because of who is reading it IRL. I'm just so sorry you are going through this right now. People should respect your privacy, and if they feel compelled to read your blog, they need to keep their mouths shut.

(((hugs)))

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You're such a blessing, Heather - that's exactly where I am, feeling weird about having to leave things off to keep it private. I had hoped that I could just finally open up on here, that it was okay - but this just proved me wrong. I hope things go well for you in being open - I think it's just morbid curiosity, you know?

You're amazing. Hugs right back. :)

Anonymous said...

A. - I am so very sorry that you are having to go through this on top of everything else that is going on in your life right now. I have lost and had permanently damaged so many relationships in the months since Quinn's birth and death because people just don't get it. They don't get the grief and the rollercoaster of emotions that you ride each and everyday. They don't get that your life will never, ever be the same. And they don't get that there is a monumental difference between moving on and moving forward . . . you never move on, and you have no choice but to move forward. People automatically assume that pregnancy and even trying to get pregnant are such exciting events - regardless of what has happened in the past - and they don't realize how incredibly difficult all of it can be. No one understood why I wasn't dancing on the rooftops throughout my prenancy with Briar - they were all still living under the naive assumption that pregnancy = baby. I am so, so sorry that it didn't for you, and that people cannot be respectful of you during this amazingly difficult time.

Bree said...

I've written about feeling violated by my IRLs too. Have you thought about making your blog private or switching to word press? On word press, you can password protect selected posts. Blogging has been my best form of therapy and I've met some amazing women along the way. I've thought about stopping too, but the benefits still outweigh the negative stuff.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You're so sweet, Bree!! I've been considering it - I'm trying to think out what to do. I keep just hoping that people will be decent and respect my privacy, but that doesn't always happen obviously. I'm so sorry you've also had these issues.

Michele said...

The hardest part of blogging is the risk that someone may "find" you. I remember how shocked I was when someone told me they read about some emotions I'd blogged about. The thought that somehow not outwardly telling people about my blog would keep me safe. But that wasnt the case. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I blog for me. I write because I need to- not for someone else. If someone read something that they dont like or something that pisses them off, it is THEIR problem, not mine. Yes, people talk about my blog and things on it and it gets back to me and I find that I sometimes get pissed. But then I realize that, even though I write for me, I am putting it out there. They choose to read what I choose to write.

If you think the Gossip is reading and then gossiping about you, I'd confront her. Tell her that this is YOUR safe space and that you'd prefer she either support you or leave you in peace. This isnt a place for her to find dirt to spread or anything else. That you blog for your own healing and to share with others who understand and, if she cant be part of that circle, then she should move on.

It may sound kind of harsh, but I would hate for you to feel like you need to leave YOUR space because of someone else. It's not fair.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Michele, I can't say how sweet and incredibly helpful that advice is. You're right - this place is for me to express and share, to worry and mourn, to rejoice and feel. I think I'll definitely start a dialogue with The Gossip on Monday - it's just awkward to have to worry about her mining this for the next thing to chat about with someone.

You're so incredibly sweet!