Monday, December 14, 2009

22 weeks and 6 days - "Acceptable"

I had someone recently tell me how well they thought I was doing with Maddie’s passing. I just smiled and said thank you, but thought about how deceiving appearances are.


There is, whether it’s right or not, a statute of limitations on how long you can “acceptably” bring up your child’s death to people. Facebook status updates, mentioning my child in conversation and e-mail, etc. – there’s a finite amount of time where that is something that I personally feel comfortable doing. What happened to my baby (and so many others) is a horrible, awful tragedy – but it’s my husband’s and my tragedy. It’s not really anyone else’s. I don’t want people to remember Maddie out of some dull sense of duty, or because I force them into it – I want them to remember her out of love, and to honor her beautiful memory. I don’t want to force people to pity me – that doesn’t do anything good for either of us.

So, I’ve taken to usually not mentioning Maddie unless it’s truly appropriate to the conversation. If someone asks me how I’m doing, I say “fine.” I will take care of myself as I need, but people don’t necessarily need to know the full answer – they don’t want it when they ask that question. They don’t need to know that I cry for her every day – it doesn’t increase or decrease my memories of and love for her. There are some relationships that become closer and some that fall away after the loss of a child, but in time, it’s natural that the topic fades from others’ minds. All I need to do is make sure she never fades from mine.

15 comments:

Heather said...

This is a great post - you make a good point. I am still at the phase where I try to find ways to sneak Madelyn into the conversation. But I guess I don't have to prove anything to other people. DH and I will never forget her, and I have met so many others who won't either. I feel like an adopted aunt or something along those lines to all of the babies in heaven I have learned about in this community. I really have come to love them all, and I know others have come to care about my Madelyn as well. And if our IRL life people can't see what a special gift our daugthers were, that is their loss.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I hope my post didn't sound at all like I was giving advice to anyone, or think that my way is right. You're right, I just feel like the others in my life should remember her if she is important to them - I just don't want to make her a burden on anyone. I don't know if that makes any sense. Sometimes I think I just go to the path of least resistance.

Heather said...

Oh no, Ang - not at all! But it just gave me a different way of looking at it...

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I'm so glad, Heather. :) As soon as I hit "post," I was worried that people would think I was giving advice or something. It's just been easier for me. People had told me how sometimes it's easier just to say that they don't have any children than to explain it - I don't think I can do that in particular, but I totally get it.

Bree said...

I agree with Heather. What a profound thought. I never thought of it this way. You gave me something to really ponder today.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You're so sweet, as well, Bree. You guys are great - I just had been thinking about it a lot lately. I've kind of stopped caring what others think, and just focus on keeping Maddie's memory safe with me. I don't know if that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

I totally get this. I am at the same place. I do sometimes talk to my mom about Jonathan if I am having a moment and she is there. My mother in law has heard about him more too, but I think its just harder with the holidays and its not that I am doing it on purpose. It just comes out like its natural, but as an everyday practice for me its easier to just keep Jonathan in my heart.

Heather, I love your thought about being an adopted aunt....its like our babies are all cousins playing together. I do believe all of our babies are together. They are never alone.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Jess - I totally understand. I'm kind of estranged from my mom right now, but I do that with my husband. He isn't always able to talk about it emotionally, but he lets me vent if need be. It's not like the topic of our babies is taboo - it's just treasured.

I love Heather's description, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I HATE, HATE, HATE that the rest of the 'normal' world is uncomfortable with hearing about dead babies - especially if that randomly set period of time after loss has expired. For the longest time after Quinn's birth/death when people asked me how many kids I had I would say 3. Now that Briar is here I still sometimes say 4, but more often than not just say 3 because it is easier. I HATE IT. Thank goodness for blogging and for the people in the Internet who will never grow tired of hearing about my dead baby.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I hate it, too. I hate that look of immediate discomfort that I see in so many people when I mention Maddie's name. I've been lucky - most of the people we encounter already know what happened, so we don't have to explain the "how many kids" question over and over. It makes it a lot easier.

Michele said...

I look beyond people's uncomfortability. My children are mine and, if the situation warrants, I bring them up. I dont like to intentionally make people upset, but I feel like people who ignore them intentionally make me upset. So I live my life as I live it, and they live through me. But I understand you not wanting to "burden" others. I like to think that those dear to us dont feel burdened but special that our children are a part of their lives.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I absolutely understand, Michele. Today I found myself actually APOLOGIZING to a coworker that I don't have the same sense of humor that I did before losing Maddie. I'm not sorry at all. How messed up is that?

Lynn said...

This post had me nearly crying. I think you are such a strong individual! I think you make such a valid point. Its almost like they're interlopers on your pain and you need to keep it for yourself because they just wouldn't understand.

At least you have your blog where you can post when you need/want to. Posting about Maddie will never be frowned on here. Its a place of safety and love from your online friends.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Bless your heart, Lynn - you are just so warm and sweet. That's a really great description - I just don't want to bring Maddie up to people who specifically don't want to hear about her. It just feels like it isn't fair to her in a way.

Holly said...

It does feel better when someone brings them up without you mentioning it first.