Friday, December 11, 2009

Half-post

Cheryl was really sweet, and asked in my comments about info on the cancer I've had previously.  I didn't want her to have to go wading through other comments for my response, so I figured I'd make a quick blog about it.

One of the reasons I really am strongly recommended every year to get a flu shot is because I had cancer a couple of times.  The tumor first showed up when I was about 8 years old, but was misdiagnosed until it was removed when I was 16.  I then had a recurrance at age 22, at which time I had radiation.  It's a very rare type of cancer, and is incredibly rare in children - it's a cancer of the salivary gland, and I was only the 16th child ever recorded with it.  Luckily, it's an incredibly slow-growing type of cancer - but it means that, instead of chance of recurrance going down at 5 years, it increases for me.

I had a PET scan (a very intensive full-body scan that's supposed to find areas of high metabolization, which often indicates malignancies) this summer that came back clean, so that's good news.  It's unlikely that the cancers had anything to do with my infertility, since I exhibited the symptoms of PCOS in my teen years, before there was any spreading or treatment.  However, it does make me more paranoid - which explains why I am a constant worrier.  :)

5 comments:

Bree said...

Wow. I'm so sorry you went through that. You think the universe would have given you a break with Maddie. So glad you're recovered!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

You're so sweet, Bree! I just feel really lucky that things have turned out as well as they have.

cheryllookingforward said...

Thanks for the explanation. I got kind of worried about you! So, as usual, I'll keep thinking about you and hoping all is well!!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry you have had to deal with this as well as everything else, but I am so glad your most recent scan was clean. Praying it stays that way!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Cheryl and Heather - you guys are just so sweet! Thank you - it definitely has put things into perspective...