Even under normal circumstances, I am what you might call a "picky eater." Always have been - there are some foods I've just never liked since I was a baby. I have a really strong gag reflex, and for some reason texture is a big thing to me (mashed potatoes have no consistency, for example - and I usually put potato chips for texture on a lunch meat sandwich, like turkey, if I eat one). I tend to find a "safe food" - I love lots of different Mexican dishes, for example, but tend to stick to enchiladas and rice. You can almost bet money that I'll get alfredo if I go to an Italian restaurant. Indian food, I get curry. Safe foods.
This has proven to make eating during pregnancy a little limiting. My peri doesn't want me throwing up since it puts pressure on the cervix (and I can only take so much Zofran and Phenergen), and almost any food that's rich will send me kneeling. Barbecue sauce guarantees a bad night. My beloved alfredo is out, as is red sauce - leaving me with pretty much oil or butter sauces at Italian restaurants. Mexican food is a crap shoot - it entirely depends on what my stomach is doing that day. My poor husband has had to adapt to eating nothing much more exciting than chicken nuggets the past couple of months. I'm so lucky that he is putting up with me.
All of this just reminds me of how blessed and excited I am to feel like crap, though, and how I will gladly feel like crap the whole pregnancy if it means that the baby is safe. (Granted, that doesn't really change the fact that I feel like crap.) I got either a super-bad case of morning sickness or some light flu yesterday and had to go home from work, or else the options were that I was either going to throw up or fall asleep at my desk (neither of which would have impressed my coworkers much). I'm just going to have to find some way to adapt better - I can't sleep through the night, so I may have to just start going to bed even earlier.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
Its funny what we will do to guarentee a healthy baby. I am willing to put money down that any other momma (who has not suffered loss) would be complaining about making sacrifices in what they could eat. *huge hugs* You are doing what you need to do for your baby and thats all anyone can ask.
I have texture issues, too! But mine are totally different from yours - I would be so mad if I had chips in my sandwich! I am sitting in front of a plate full of raisens pulled out of my bagel because they feel so squishy.
I hope your morning sickness clears up in the next few weeks and you only feel mildly crappy for the rest of your healthy pregnancy!
Jess - it frustrates me to hear people complain about not being able to drink. So what, it's your baby at stake! You're a sweetie - thank you!
Cheryl - that's hilarious! I'd probably pull raisins out of a cookie for a similar reason. I'd probably be okay with a bagel. I'm hoping to go to a lesser degree of crappiness, too! :) But if not, bring it on!
You know you've been through a struggle and/or loss when you can say you are happy for the miserable symptoms! I know I will feel that way. :) I can't WAIT for morning sickness. Or at least I say that now....hehehe
Thinking of you as always!
You're such a sweetie, Heather - thank you! :D You're right, it's really only the mothers of loss or struggles who you see thanking Heavens for the sickness, isn't it? :D Happy New Year!
It's just one more joy, though, isnt it? When you get to think of how much your baby already is a big part of your life and day.
It truly is! I pray to have my eating and sleeping schedule disrupted when the baby is here, so it's a pleasure to have it disrupted now!
Okay, even though you are talking about gagging and vomiting, this post still made me hungry. :)
I was extremely queasy this time around. But, for the most part, it has passed (at about 14 weeks). Hopefully, you start feeling better soon.
Bree, I eat everything that stands still long enough, so I know what you mean! ;)
Thank you - I'm so glad you're feeling better! I was sick throughout the whole pregnancy w/Maddie, but I'm hoping this time goes better. Maybe my body will be more used to it.
I found you from the creme and had to follow up and read more to see if your FET worked. I am so happy for you that it did!!!
You are so sweet - thank you so much!! :)
I know what you mean about being greatful for every trip to the toilet! I was so very blessed to have Briar's prenancy be my easier pregnancy physically. I coped with some of the mental portion by taking a Unisom every. single. night and going to bed at 7:30 with Cooper and Maren - it was the only way to keep my mind from getting carried away and the only way I slept through the night. I hope some of this eases up for you as time goes on and that you are able to stomach a bit more in teh coming months.
You are so sweet! I took a Unisom pretty often when I was pregnant with Maddie - it helped so much to have the edge taken off of everything. Since I've been on the Ambien, I haven't tried it this pregnancy - but will probably ask my OB about it on Tuesday.
Post a Comment